Every Friday 9:30 for 10am
The hamlet of Newstead has its greater population in the rural area surrounding it. Newstead is fortunate, despite this, to enjoy the facility of a Croquet Club. This was made possible through the initiative of the Rev. Patmore who recognised the need for a social and recreational area for the people of the district.
The Newstead Croquet Club was founded in Hillier Street in 1924. The clubhouse, which is still in use today, was a shearer's hut, purchased for £10. Uniquely inside the clubhouse is a log fire. There is no complete record of names of the inaugural members, but Mrs M Barbetti (Secretary 1952-1970) was a founding member and staunch supporter of the club.
In 1964 the Shire of Newstead substantially increased the Newstead Croquet Club's rates. A successful appeal was made, and the rates were set at £2 per annum. Membership early in 1972 was so low that the club did not register with the VCA and the NDCA. Mrs Barbetti and Mrs O Butler were appointed trustees to manage the club, and on the 27th October 1972 the club was reformed. Mrs Barbetti was president and Mrs Hazel Shevlin was appointed secretary. In May 1973 12 members from the Castlemaine Croquet Club joined the Newstead Croquet Club as their 2nd club. Other members from surrounding clubs did the same, so that in 1990 there was a healthy membership of 24 players.
Up until 1986, Newstead Croquet Club had four Champion of Champin winners, and had won three pennant flags.
In March 1974 Newstead Croquet Club celebrated its Golden Jubilee.
Contact Jaynee Russell-Clarke